Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Struggling with prayer: some practical tips

I've been lank encouraged and provoked to think by the current sermon series we're having on prayer. What's been missing for me till this point, however, are practical tips on prayer. So I was quite intrigued when a friend said that she just sorta cordoned off 20 minutes in her day for prayer with God, no matter if she felt she had anything to say or not.

Now, as my prayer life till that point had been consisting of a few one-liners after reading my Bible, a few more minutes of desperately racking my brain to think of something more to say to God, then giving up, this was a highly novel thought for me. So I've been trying it, and it's working! :) I don't always use up the whole time, but that's okay, you know. I'm praying much more than I used to, and we can't expect to run when we've just started to crawl! Hehe, I have been facing some hiccups, 'cause I try do it as soon as I wake up, and there was that one morning where I fell asleep in my session, so I gave myself another session, but then I fell asleep again!! [Third time lucky, if you're wondering ;) ]

Here are some other tips that I've found to be helpful:

- pray continuously throughout the day, as you're reminded to and as things are happening around you. Who said that one-liners aren't prayers?!?! Iif you're like me, you WON'T remember to later!

- sometimes the 20 minute session can get daunting especially if I don't have time free, so then I try break it up into 4 5-minute chunks spread throughout the day. Or something similar.

- use the Bible and your quiet time passage to pray through! The Psalms are an amazing aid to pray with!

- do it whenever, wherever! If I'm doing something on autopilot (like washing the dishes, or walking around town), I try to pray. If I'm lying in bed struggling to fall asleep, I try to pray. If I'm waiting in a queue, I try to pray. [Especially then. It keeps me calm and patient ;)]

- talk to God about EVERYTHING! Sometimes I just like to talk to God about what's happening around me. It's not necessarily something that's bothering me or that's a concern or something that I'm thanking Him for, but just my thoughts. It's not only training me to turn to Him when I do have issues or concerns or want to thank Him, but it also reminds me that God isn't a vending maching, but Someone with whom I have a relationship.

But yeah, I'd really like to hear more prayer tips from you guys. Leave a comment :)

Oh yes, and I got the greatest feeling the other day, when I was upset and my spirit just cried out "DADDY!" to God. It's wonderful to think we can call God "Daddy!" :)

No comments: