Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Struggling with Fat Days. AGAIN!

I've been thinking about Fat-and-Ugly days. [Yes, again!] (Yeah, yeah, I know, this topic again - !!!! - , but I think that as human beings we’re particularly vulnerable to this issue, ‘cause it’s so dominant in our society.)

Having had many Fat-and-Ugly days, I have realized that people shouldn’t really try cheer me up by telling me how I’m not ugly or that I’m not pretty.

Firstly, it’s not going to work – if it really did, I wouldn’t be unhappy in the first place.
Secondly, you’re falling right back into the beauty myth by depending on other people's opinions about your outwardly opinions, AND you’re being distracted from Jesus’ place as your life’s center and Person who gives you fulfilment.

I have noticed that whenever I have Fat Days it usually is 'cause I’ve been spending too much time thinking the way the world’s thinking i.e. being suckered into thinking that beauty is all-important, and then I know I’ve lost the plot.

So next time I come up to you, and say I’m having a Fat Day, please rebuke me. If I’m not having a Fat Day it's 'cause I'm not Christ-centered and godly. Honestly. And I’ve decided to do the same for anyone else who’s having a Fat Day, so if you’re looking for self-pity or compliments, I AM THE LAST PERSON YOU WANT TO COME TALK TO!!!

PS What also helps is if I wake up to a Fat Day, I dress in a particularly frumpy manner so that I am forced to get over myself and the way I dress. Hardcore, baby!

No comments: