Thursday, December 20, 2007

The many names of the Holy Trinity

I was talking to my dear friend, Princess Sarah, about a lesson that God had been patiently teaching me throughout this year (TOLD YOU I WAS A SLOW LEARNER!). However, now that I'd learnt the lesson, I was struggling to find ways of applying it and I was uncertain of the practical implications it had for my life. After listening to me for a few minutes melodramatically wailing my stupidity, she reminded me to pray to "Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our Faith!" (Hebrews 12:2)
At that moment I realized that I was again relying on my own strength and intellectual powers instead of surrendering all to Jesus!

That made me start thinking about the various titles God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit had. I'd been circling the ones I came across in my QTs for the last few months for the times I needed a quick reminder of God's amazing character. So I shall now share some quick fixes with you!

General:
- God our Saviour (1 Timothy 2:3)
- the living God (1 Timothy 2:15)
- the blessed and only Ruler (1 Timothy 6:15)
- the King of kings and Lord of lords (1 Timothy 6:15)
- the living Stone (1 Peter 2:4)
- the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls (1 Peter 1:25)
- the faithful Creator (1 Peter 4:19)
- the Chief Shepherd (1 Peter 5:4)
- the God of all grace (1 Peter 5:10)

God the Father:
- the glorious Father (Ephesians 1:17)
- the Majestic Glory (2 Peter 1:17)

God the Son:
- the Word of life (1 John 1:1)
- eternal life (1 John 1:2)
- the Righteous One (1 John 2:1)
- our only Sovereign and Lord (Jude 4)

God the Spirit:
- the Spirit of wisdom and revelation (Ephesians 1:17)
- the Spirit of glory (1 Peter 1:14)


Obviously there'll be many more I discover as I carry on reading, so I'll keep on adding to this list! And you are more than welcome to as well!

No comments: