Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Did you hear?!?!??!?!

In our Bible study we were working through James, and we recently tackled the section on controlling your tongue (James 3). It was really hectic, 'cause I think it's one of the things that all human beings, whether female or male, struggle with.

We can see this in the gravity with which James approaches the topic, as well as the many other mentions that gossip and talk get in the Bible. Here are a few examples:

The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. (James 3:6-8)

Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. (Ephesians 5:4)

Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. (2 Tim 2:6)

Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel. (2 Tim 2:23-24)


We really tried to nail the practical application of not gossiping, and I’m going to mention a few things that stuck out for me.

- We tend to forget to not only not spread gossip but also to not listen to gossip. If you can't stop the person from talking, FLEE from temptation, even if it means running out of the room!!! [And it's good exercise as well!!]

- Four checkpoints when passing on info: is it TRUE, NECESSARY, HELPFUL, and LOVING? If it doesn't fit all four of these criteria, rather not. Talk about the weather instead!

- Sigh… and then there’s the all-too-easy Christian copout – “I’m so concerned and wanting to pray about so- and-so 'cause {-insert gossip here-}". Why not hold our tongues, and if we are genuinely concerned, say something more like "I think Susie's struggling, so will you please pray for her. God knows why!"

- Something I’ve also realized about passing other people's news (that isn't gossip but news that everyone will end up knowing anyway) is that I'm robbing them of their privilege of telling others. I know from my own experience that sometimes I save something to share with someone specific when I see them, and when I finally do, they tell me they’ve already heard my news. That’s not too much fun.

- One last thing: quite often we use the excuse "But we’re girls, we’re supposed to do so” to justify our gossip. As the Sister would say, "Sorrie for you!". The only thing we’re really and truly called to be are not examples of the socially constructed idea of women, but God’s HOLY PEOPLE!

Oh yes, don’t be offended if I respond to every piece of news you tell me with “Should you be telling me that?” I’m batting through practical applications of not gossiping, and it’ll be a while before I figure things out.

Talk to ya later!

No comments: