Thursday, December 20, 2007

Being offensive versus being on the offense

Recently I had the opportunity to be a leader on the Christian youth camp where I myself had understood the amazing news of salvation and forgiveness in Jesus Christ for the first time. Obviously it has a very special place in my heart for this reason, but also for the reason that it's ALWAYS so great to go back there and just see how God's amazing Word works in people's lives! I especially get a kick seeing young people change, 'cause come on, not to insult all the people I know, but when you were younger, did you ever think further than what you were going to eat next, the latest fashions or the newest lipstick colour?!? [Okay, okay, I was a bit of a tomboy, so the first thought occupied my mind MUCH more than the latter two]. Seeing them arrive as materialistic, worldly teenagers and sometimes leave as drastically-altered, Jesus-focused youths is amazing!

Anyway, this year was really really really really awesome, 'cause God gave me some great opportunities to talk to the non-Christians in my group about Him, and He gave me numerous opportunities to encourage the Christians in my group. Now, to be honest, the previous two years I'd been a leader, I think I was more concerned about being cool and popular with my girls than actually concerned about seeking opportunities to talk to them about Christ. Also, as half of my group always ended up being my local youth girls, I didn't make much effort 'cause I thought I'd have ample time to challenge them at the weekly youth bible study.

However, this year my group consisted of 8 girls I hardly knew, and who I probably won't see again they come on camp again next year. God had also been teaching me throughout the year that my laissez-faire attitude to ministry was not on, so I also arrived with a more serious attitude to speak about Jesus!!

Which brings me to the point of this post: Being offensive versus being on the offense.

I think one of the stereotypical characteristics of Christians is that we are offensive, judgmental people. As God's people, if we show these characteristics, WE ARE TO CHANGE THAT!!! Obviously, the gospel is offensive - who enjoys being told that they're rotten, guilty, evil wretches who'll die to face eternal judgment??!?! But at the same time, I think that Christians have earned this reputation not because of the offensiveness of the gospel, but because of their manner in which they share it!

Have a look at the following verse:

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. (1 Peter 3:15)

Sometimes we panic and think that we're in charge of converting people; that they need to become a Christian after we tell them the gospel, and so we're going to force it down their throats whether they want to hear it or not. This is WRONG! We are not in the business of converting people; God is. Let me say that again: WE ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF CONVERTING PEOPLE; GOD IS!! God is in control. We are not. God is Sovereign. We are not. God's Word works miracles and brings the dead to life. Our words can barely get our siblings to bring us biscuits from the kitchen. [I know this. It is a fact of life.]

All we are called to do is to share the gospel with those who we have been given opportunities to share it with - that means that if they ask that we stop sharing the gospel with them, we STOP.
(To make it easier for people, if an opportunity presents itself I sometimes tell them that I tend to get excited about Jesus and sharing the gospel, but if at any point they want me to stop, they can just tell me to.) However, that does not mean that we stop praying for them and for more opportunities!!

At the same time, I think it's quite easy to quite complacent about opportunities, and that we wait for God to hit us over the head with a tree branch or something before we realize that Susan telling us about how meaningless life seems all of a sudden is actually an opportunity. Which leads me to the second point: we need to be on the offense!!

Just like in football movies, we mustn't just wait for opportunities for the other side to stumble so that we can score.. We must constantly be looking for, and creating opportunities!!

This athletic speak can actually be found in the following verse:
Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. (2 Timothy 4:2)
[Hehe, okay okay, I don't think Paul was really thinking of a football team when he wrote that.]

For example, if Susan says "Wow, life seems so meaningless right now", it'd probably be silly talking about the amazing pasta you had last night...

It's tough going sometimes, but yay for a Sovereign God who's always in control! I was reminded of this recently when I had two amazing opportunities in two days, and I found myself unable to say anything coherently or lucidly!! Thank God that other people's eternal lives don't rest on my wisdom, but on God's working Word!

Let's go out there, not being offensive, but being on the offense!


2 comments:

Hugo said...

A quick question...

"Obviously, the gospel is offensive - who enjoys being told that they're rotten, guilty, evil wretches who'll die to face eternal judgment??!?!"

Do you think that's what the gospel says? Is that a key part of the gospel?

Grace said...

Yes, it's a highly relevant part of the gospel! Without the knowledge that we are dirty rotten sinners who can't do anything to get right with God, there is absolutely no need for a Saviour, and that completely nullifies Jesus' life and death!!!

However, we can't (and dare not) forget the good news found in the gospel - that Jesus offers us eternal life and salvation by doing that which we can not do: dying and taking the punishment that we so rightfully deserve so that we can be restored to perfection in God's eyes!!

That's why Romans starts off with an exposition of how sinful we all are, e.g. check out Romans 3:9-19 which states how NO-ONE is righteous before God, but then continues on to the solution that can be found in Jesus, e.g. Romans 3:21-31.

Yay for Jesus!