Thursday, December 20, 2007

God's amazing Word!

I recently wrote a post on talking to others about Jesus (see Being offensive versus being on the offense. In this I briefly mentioned how God's Word does all the work. And it's true, it does!
I think in all stories of how people became followers of Christ there's one thing that's always present, no matter how weird, interesting, or 'boring' the story is. This one thing is that it was hearing about what Christ had done that had struck a chord in the listener!

One of my friends says that his story of 'conversion is 'boring', because all that happened to him is that he went to church once, and he somehow found himself going back. I myself don't find any stories of how people began their relationship with Jesus boring, 'cause they're all such encouraging examples of how God's Word works!!

Let us not be discouraged if what we tell others does not result in them wanting to become Christians there and then! God's Word does what He wants it to do!

As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

so is my word that goes out from my mouth:

It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
(Isaiah 55:10-11)

Paul also reminds Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:9, that unlike Paul who is a prisoner at the time of the writing of that letter, God's word is not chained!

There are many other verse I could quote here, but those two touched me particularly today. I suggest that you read 1 Corinthians 1-2 if you have time as well.

No comments: