Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Relationships with my sisters-in-Christ

One thing God has been showing me throughout this year is how important my female relationships are, and how necessary it is that we hang out, encourage and love each other as Christian sisters.

I tend to get on well with guys and quite often prefer hanging out with them, but God's been gracious and shown me how much I need Christian sisters, not only through some wonderful friendships, but also through the realization that my guy friends won't remain MY guy friends.. I'll lose them to girls, you know.

It was a silly realization I had when a close friend of mine started becoming better friends with another girl, and all of a sudden I got jealous. It was all highly silly, but like my Amazing Goat pointed out, we tend to put more emotional value into our guy friendships than our girls. Anyway, after a while i realized instead of feeling sillily [silly used as an adverb; yes, I have no idea if that's right or not, but I'M the English Major, okay! So go take your dictionary somewhere else!!] [Oh dear, we've had this conversation before, haven't we?!?!?] Where was I... oh yes, so instead of feeling sillily emotional whenever we were together and he was hanging out more with her than with me, I began to see the opportunities that God had placed right there for me to talk to my Christian sisters or the non-Christians or the newcomers :)

It's SO important to have amazing encouraging GODLY sisters who know what battles the world's putting you through, and to share practical wisdom about female things. e.g. i shared my Fat Day revelations with a guy and he was like "What are those? Girls have them?!?", whereas my girl friends were all like "Oh YES! I know EXACTLY what you mean!".

On this point, we're also called to develop friendships with other Christian sisters so that we can model a godly life to them. At this point you might be thinking "FREAK OUT!! WHY ON EARTH WOULD PEOPLE WANT TO LOOK AT MY LIFE AS A MODEL?!!" like I used to, but I've come to realize that there's so much one can learn from even the youngest Christian! We must stop freaking out and thinking over it too much, and just do it.

Remember! Nike!

No comments: