Friday, May 29, 2009

What are you doing with your life?

I got one of those emails today that are meant to make you think about what you're doing with your life. You know, the typical questions:
- What are you doing now that will last for eternity? (Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. Matt 6v19)
- Where is your life heading? (For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matt 6v21)
A bit desensitized to the impact of these, I was about to delete it, and then saw the following point:
How much of your life is spent doing things because others expect you to? (Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, ... Eph 6v7)
And this one hit home particularly.
1) Cause I can be a bit of a people pleaser, doing things because I should, and because it is expected of me, and
2) as my previous post(s) shows, I'm struggling with idols at the moment.
So this was a really good reminder, to put God at the centre of my life, NOT people, NOT my temporary future here on earth.
Let's go spend today wisely.
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. (Jim Elliott, methinks.)
PS yeah yeah, I know I said in my previous post I'd come back and try again at thinking of a suitable metaphor, but I'm experiencing a couple of brain farts in this regard...

No comments: