Thursday, May 7, 2009

BLERGH... being sick sucks :(

You might have noticed that this month's posts this far, have been more signposts to other people's words and sites, rather than my own blogposts.

This is because I have only recently returned from the dead. *cough cough*

[Excuse me, evidently melodrama, as well as the odd germ, evidently still courses through my blood.]

Either way, I bet you it wasn't pretty. I'm not quite sure myself, as I was out of it most of the time. I'm not even sure what hit me. Whatever it was, it hit swiftly, and it hit hard. Sunday morning I was feeling a bit yuck. Sunday evening, I went to bed with a slight fever.. and then proceeded to sleep for pretty much 33 hours (with maybe three hours on-off/asleep-awake dozing inbetween). And I've pretty much spent most of that time since in bed, recovering. Slowly. Sigh.

And the irony of it all was that May was/is CRAZY month. Lots of admin, lots of research, lots of marking, lots lots lots lots of things scheduled into my diary. And with one swift invasion of little invisible bacteria, all this was cleared out of my lifeplan and instead rest and sleep became priority. And I think there're two key lessons that can be drawn from this:

1) Perspective. Like I said, I'd thought this would be my crazy month, but as soon as it came to the point of living (by staying at home to rest) or dying (forcing myself to go to all those scheduled things), perspective came into place and all the things that had seemed so important, didn't really seem so important after all. And I suppose that's what the eternal perspective we need to be keeping - not in the sense that we should be lassez faire and unconcerned about everything.

2) Control. God really reminded me again that He is in sovereign control. I'm one of those people who organise and plan like crazy (mostly 'cause I have to - much to the frustration of my inner slob - what with all my interests and hobbies), but sometimes God gently reminds me (or in this case, rather abruptly) that I'm not in control - He is. I had no idea this was coming, and I had no idea how long this would last. Only God does!

So yay. I actually think I had a good week off work - though tomorrow I'm going to have my first full day in four days - and time to think through some stuff. Who thought being sick would be so productive!

No comments: