Sunday, January 11, 2009

So the cool thing that happened at communion this morning :)

I quite enjoy going to different churches 'cause people are so different, services rarely follow the same formula.

This morning, I visited a sister church (so same denomination) and we had communion. What I really loved that they did differently was this: They not only had the Apostle's Creed and a Prayer on the service sheet for those partaking of the Lord's supper, but also Prayers for Those Not Taking the Lord's Supper. I was really stoked by this 'cause I've quite often thought it must be lank awkward during communion for those who aren't convinced yet that Jesus IS Lord or for those who are struggling .

They actually had two prayers written on the sheet, and I'm so chuffed by them, I'm typing them both out:

Prayer for those searching for truth.
Lord Jesus, you claim to be the way, the truth and the life. Grant that I might be undaunted by the cost of following you as I consider the reasons for doing so. If what you claim is true, please guide me, teach me, and open me to the reality of who you are. Give me an understanding of you that is coherent, convincing, and that leads to the life you promise. Amen.

Prayer of Belief.
Lord Jesus Christ, I admit that I am weaker and more sinful than I ever dared admit, but through you I am more loved and accepted that I ever dared hope. I thank you for paying my debt on the cross, taking what I deserved in order to offer me complete forgiveness. Knowing that you have been raised from the dead, turn from my sins and receive you as my Saviour and Lord. Amen.

Praise God for differences and different ways of doing things :)

No comments: