Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Life is unfair

Yip, it is. I know it, you know it, the mosquito that just got squished 'cause I threw a heavy copy of I don't have enough faith to be an atheist at it knows it*, God knows it. Especially God. 'Cause He's the one who came down to earth and then got crucified by those He created.

He didn't have to, he didn't want to, he received no thanks for it then, his friends deserted him, his enemies scorned him, he was forsaken by God, his body was beaten and broken, and he died a slow painful death. Life IS unfair.

So when people are going through tough times, don't throw platitudes at them. Let's acknowledge firstly that yeah, life can suck. But don't forget to remind them that we are children not of an impersonal robotic God, but of a loving Father who understands all the pain and suffering we are going through, for what He went through and is going through because of our rebellion, is so much worse.

* Very interesting book. Try get hold of it: I don't have enough faith to be an atheist by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek.

2 comments:

Grace said...

A friend just smsed and said that I might have misrepresented Jesus when I wrote that He didn't want to die on the cross for us. The friend went on to expand on this by making the point that in His great love, Jesus made a very willing sacrifice for our sins.

I absolutely agree!

However, it doesn't take away from His emotions before His death on the cross, which I was thinking of when typing this post.

I was specifically thinking of Jesus' words in Gethsemane where He tells his disciples: "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death" (Matt 26:38), and then prays to God: "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me" (Matt 26:39).

It's clear here that He wasn't keen at all about His coming ordeal (I'd say, understandably so!). Jesus wasn't a sadistic robot who enjoyed pain - he felt emotion and suffered just like we do.

Unlike us, however, Jesus was obedient in all things and then carried on to pray: "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done" (Matt 26:42). Fortunately for us!

Hope that clarifies matters :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Grace! Its overwhelming to think how the prospect of being separated from the Father agonised Jesus to the point of being tempted. I read some of Isaiah 53 which almost gave me goosebumps.

I thought of John 4:34, which is why I did sms you. Just be a bit cautious with the way you say things.

Gys