Wednesday, January 7, 2009

GGATHND: Part VI - If heaven is so much better, why stay here?

The other day I was feeling terribly disheartened by the state of the world, and I just wanted to be with God in heaven instead of living in this awful, sinful world.

At this point, I was reminded that Apostle Paul faced the same dilemma. He writes: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain... I desire to be with Christ, which is better by far" (Phil 1:21, 23). However, he selflessly concludes: "But it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again, joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me" (Phil 1:24-26).

Some of you might read that and be encouraged. On the other hand, some of you might share my own very mature feelings: "I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE ELSE!!! I WANT TO GO HOME RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah. Selfless, aren't I.

But when you're in a self-pitying mood, you tend not to think about anyone else...

That's why I was so encouraged when I read yet another awesome anecdote from God's Grace and the Homosexual Next Day. [I promise this is the last time I shall steal excerpts from it!!].

One woman was given the opportunity to share the gospel with her friend with AIDS, who came to know and love Jesus just before his death. One day, as she was visiting him, he remarked:
I appreciate God's love and mercy so much. And soon I'll get to see Jesus face-to-face. There's nothing greater than that. But you get to stay here and see what it means to overcome and learn how to walk by faith. I'll never get to experience that (p. 253).

WOWWEEE!! How true and exciting :) So let us hunger for heaven, but let us not forget that while we are here, we are undergoing the amazing experience of walking by faith :)

*All extracts from Chambers, Alan. God's Grace and the Homosexual Next Door. USA: Harvest House Publishers, 2006.

No comments: