Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Chronicles of Packing - kind words, soft words

A season of leaving tends to be accompanied by assessment, measuring, weighing up. What's been particularly lovely in these last few weeks is that many of my friends have made a point in telling me what I've meant to them, and how it is I've impacted them or made a difference in their life.

I've been humbled by their words and the way God has allowed me to work in so many people's lives. The reminder that what I do affects those around me (not in an arrogant sense, but a practical realization of the interconnectedness of community) has spurred me on to act more like what they appreciate me for, and to work harder on my selfishness, my unkindness, my general grumpiness.

These two verses on the strength of words sprang to mind:
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Ephesians 4:29

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. - Proverbs 16:24


What I've come to realize though is leaving is too late to encourage someone. Encouraging someone and speaking words of truth and edification must come while you are with them, living life every day. So I've decided I'm going to make more of an effort to highlight people's strengths, their unique gifts to them while I'm with them. Yay :)

2 comments:

Lauren Rosenberg said...

yes yes yes yes and YES to this. build the binne kring!

Anonymous said...

So what will you do when I tell you that part of the reason you're so loved & appreciated is that you always strive to be more of the best of what you are, just as you've just described? ;)

*sigh*... Recent blogposts of yours have made me a little sad (if excitdedly so). Thanks for the referral :)