Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Home is home" - just an anecdote

Carin and I were at Panarottis last night (yum yum), where a very friendly waitor served us. The place was quiet, so he was able to spend time chatting every now and then instead of moving off to other tables.

Out of curiosity, I asked him where he came from. The answer: "Zimbabwe". He'd been here for the last three years.

I'm become increasingly curious about people's attachment to their home countries since I'll be heading elsewhere at the end of the year, so I asked: "Do you miss it?"

"Yes," he said, his big smile fading, and a sadness dropping over his eyes. His voice softened. "Yes. I'm just here to make money. As soon as I have enough, I'll go back... Home is home."

His homesickness was so palpable, I couldn't stop thinking about him as I walked out of the restaurant later. "Maybe", I said to Carin, grasping on straws, "we could've given him a bigger tip so he has more money so he can get back home quicker."

Carin's response brought his sadness into perspective for us as Christians: "Just seeing him like that is just such a strong reminder of how we should also be, you know, as Christians: aliens and strangers in this world. Missing home. This isn't it."

"Home is home". And this Earth isn't it. Remember that as you're faced with difficulties and troubles today.

No comments: