Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Admin Lady

We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

- Romans 5:3-4


Doesn't that sound nice? YES, let's face suffering with courage because we know that it's only going to make us more like Jesus!

But sometimes, you realize it only sounds nice in theory - especially when you're facing heaps of admin, you'd rather the suffering was facing someone else.

There are some people who are gifted at admin and who love it. There're some people who are gifted at admin and who abhor it. There're some people who neither enjoy admin nor at gifted at it. You either want to be Type 1 ('cause then you'll love what you do), or Type 3 ('cause then no-one expects you to do your own admin or theirs).

Unfortunately, I'm type 2. Which means I quite often get volunteered into admin.

Yesterday, I found myself sitting with a lot of admin. Great. Lots of nitty-gritty emails to be sent out - stuff that I'd been avoiding for ages. I foresaw the whole day being spent in from of the computer *sadness*

But I decided to change my attitude, and be excited for this opportunity to practise my perseverance. There was a lot of prayer involved, but soon I felt quite pleased about exercising my admin muscle.

I felt so chuffed with my attitude, I tweeted the following:
Hate cold-calling. But. Good practise for my patience and overall calmness :)
.

Two seconds later, a friend of mine messaged me about our trip to England, a bit down in the dumps about all our upcoming admin: "Cellphone stuff. Shipping of personal belongings. Banktasks. Calculating of finances.. Great stuff. Not even to mention VISAs."

Have I mentioned previously how God enjoys irony?

No comments: