Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Some further thoughts on future plans

Every now and then [read: frequently] I worry about my life, and where I'm heading. Part of my concern comes from my interest in pretty much everything. What am I to do with my gifts and talents when most future careers seem like a possibility (or, at least interesting? I doubt I'll ever make it as a neuroscientist, though that sounds pretty cool!)

Had the opportunity to talk through some things with a number of people on camp, including the lovely Sophie. She had some useful things to say to me:

- firstly, prioritize God first and foremost in whatever you're doing. grow your relationship and just draw near to Him.
- don't think so much about it - just relax. She laughed at this point and said it's probably a good thing that I think so much about it, but women (moreso than men) tend to analyse and second-guess and overthink and then analyse again through motives, assumptions, thoughts, acts etc. Her husband's been particularly helpful in this regard by pointing out the times she does it unnecessarily.
- don't rush into making decisions now - I'm still young, and I should trust God to work things out for me.
- pray and ask God to make it clear to you if you are missing any opportunities, and if there are any things you can do which are preventing you from growing.

I think what particularly helped with Sophie's words were the frank recognition of my overthinking, and just the humble kind way she basically told me to chill out by prioritizing more important things like putting God first. After all, God's in control, and wherever I will end up is where He wants me to be. Amen.

No comments: