Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Social justice ministry vs Word ministry: What about work

In my previous post, I dealt with my (pretty lame) reasons for prioritizing my involvement in social justice ministry over word ministry.

Which brings me to the question of work. Like I explained earlier, I've been encouraged to consider full-time paid ministry. So far, I've been hesitant about this - also explained earlier.

I hadn't reckoned for God's firm hand upon His plans for me. Richard Coekin did a great interview on ministry (it's entitled 'Maximising your gospel ministry - check out the Equip website for the MP3). At one point, he was asked: "What would you say to those people who've been encouraged to go into full-time ministry but don't have the desire?"

Wham, bam,boom.

I paraphrase his response now, but it was something like this: "Try explaining that to Jesus". The interviewer asked him for more, but Richard left it black and white - we will be accountable to Jesus one day for the way we've lived.

Wham, bam, double boom boom.

With the reminder of the power of God's word, the necessity for spreading the truth in the gospel, the love and wrath of God, and this key segment from Richard's talk, I've now reopened my future work in word ministry as a choice (not that I really a choice - God is far too powerful to need my acquiescence. He's just gracious in giving me time to come to realize that He is right.)

A number of further thoughts on choosing work:
- as Christians, our first and foremost priority should be sharing the word with others
- when considering work, this priority should also take into consideration other factors like ability, financial needs. e.g. If you don't have the ability to teach the Bible, then full-time ministry's probably not for you. e.g. If you don't have the money to go into full-time ministry and can't raise support, perhaps it's best if you work for a few years.
- if, you choose not to go into full-time paid ministry, then make sure that your work does give you time to engage in your local community and serve there as well.

Having said all that:
- Richard seemed to have a very black and white view of what to do with your gifts - if you have the gifts, use them. If you don't, go work to raise money to support others to use their Bible-teaching gifts.
- At the same time, I think it's helpful to remember, as I've been reminded, that every industry needs Christians in it - the film, the engineering, the sciences. Just keep in mind, it's only worth being at the top, if you're using your position to influence. If you're not, why are you really there?

Fortunately, I still have three/four years before I have to make any hard and fast decisions about work, but as a slow thinker, it's best I start thinking now ;)

No comments: