Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Idolatry, and human pride

I like people. A lot. Unfortunately, this means that every now and then I really really really care about what people think of me. Although I'm a reasonably independent ninja, deep down inside, at the most inopportune moments, there's a little voice going "What would people think?". Or, "Yay, people think I'm cool - I must be".

Isaiah's got a helpful reminder about people's place in humanity. Sure, human beings were created to be lord over the earth, but this is under God's ultimate Lordship.

22 Stop trusting in mere humans,
who have but a breath in their nostrils.
Why hold them in esteem?

Isaiah 2:22



Similarly, Isaiah reminds us of the foolishness of worshipping idols, reminding us clearly that all idols are man-made.

20 In that day people will throw away
to the moles and bats
their idols of silver and idols of gold,
which they made to worship.

Isaiah 2:30


Why worship createds when you can worship the Creator?

Easier said than done, though.

No comments: