Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Year of Manning Up: Taking Responsibility

In my previous post, I introduced my new year to y'all. Some of you reading might have wondered: "so what? I'm not in any leadership positions. It's always nice reading about Grace's life [why, thanks, guys], but that post didn't really have anything to do with me".

Think again. Obviously I can't tell you what to do in your own life, but here are two examples of things I can 'man up' to. Hopefully that'll spark some thoughts...

1)How we train and model lives to our younger siblings-in-Christ. [See Titus 2]. [See also: Relationships with my sisters-in-Christ.] Leading is more than being. Leading is being actively involved, training, inspiring, explaining to others who are being led. I've come to the conclusion that although placed in many leadership positions over the years, my leadership has been a very passive sort- by just being, I thought my example would be enough. But it's not. An oak tree has no impact on your life by just being on top of a mountain - it must come and plant itself in your garden. In the same way, I have re-assessed my relationships with many in the church, and realized that I have not become involved enough. This is not to say that I need to be responsible for everyone - it means that when I do choose to be responsible for some sort of leadership, that I must engage with it thoroughly.

2)I have this tendency to talk about my life as if it's not under control. 'Oh my word, it's been such a crazy week, with so much to do.' I seem to blame this crazy incomprehensible thing called 'life' for the madness of my existence. Silly. I need to take responsibility for my decisions- after all, I take the call to do something or not. This is just a minor example of me not taking responsibility for things that I have chosen to take responsibility for.

Oooh.. but now it seems as if I have an over-inflated sense of responsibility... Is Grace going to go around feeling guilty about everything/everyone she comes into contact with?

No. 'Cause part of manning up/ being a leader means NOT taking responsibility at times...

No comments: