Monday, January 18, 2010

hope/Hope

There's a lot of things I hope for one day: I hope to be happy, I hope to travel, I hope to walk through Siberian fog one day [I'm not joking here; I've wanted to do this ever since I read ... umm... let me get back to you on that one], I hope to end up in deepest darkest Africa and turn on a light switch there.. :). There are many things I'd love to see happen one day, but I don't know if I ever will. During the last two years, I'd especially hoped to see someone I loved as a best friend come to know Jesus, but they didn't, and now our lives are walked on different paths. Anger, frustration and bitterness set in, which I'm still processing now slowly. Why were they brought into my life, and why did they become such a big part of it, if it was only to taunt me, was my thinking, I suppose.

Without knowing it, little by little, my big Hope, the sure and certain truth that because of Jesus I would one day live eternally with God, was being chipped away by the emotions surrounding a little hope, a wish. And I've used a little h and a big H for a reason: the Bible does not talk about our Hope in Jesus in the same way that we speak about our hopes and dreams like I just did: It speaks about this Hope as a given, a definite, an 'of course':
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

It's been very helpful for me to relearn this difference, and so this is why I've written this post. But I also write this, because I have a feeling you might still read my blog every now and then. Hello. :). I miss you. I hope you're well.

No comments: