Monday, January 18, 2010

Me, me, me, me, ministry : update

I've been thinking about my ministry involvement a lot in the past half-year, especially after my near-bout of burn-out. I've been pretty much involved with most church ministries at one point or another the last few years, and so, as BO (burn-out, not body odour, silly) hit me, I was forced to reflect on the real reason why I was so involved. Was it really 'cause I was wanting to serve the church, or was it just because I'm one of those types that likes helping out/ not being served? [Seriously, I once walked into a restaurant and absentmindedly flipped through the reservation book and would have seated myself if the maitre'd hadn't stopped me!][I think my thinking behind it was that I'd save him some time by doing it myself][Who knows?!!?!?]

As a result, I decided to give up nearly all my ministries, firstly so that I could have a break and allow other people to serve [yes, you reading this, step up to the plate!], and secondly so that I could work on my relationship with God personally, instead of it being mediated by things done for the church. I decided to commit to only music ministry, as I love playing the ol' banjo (I don't really play the ol' banjo; one of my friends just calls it that, and I think it's awesome].

I also knew, though I didn't acknowledge that to myself, that it would be the easiest way out. No real work. I pitch up, play a few tunes, stand on stage looking muso, and then that's done. But I still look involved, 'cause it's a high-profile ministry (in that, we're obviously visible on stage). Easy kapeasy.

God wasn't having any of that. And He has been gently reminding me that I have gifts that I could use more effectively in the service of the church body (a banjo is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have), and so, I resigned yesterday so that I can focus on a word-teaching ministry for the year.

To be honest, I'm quite stoked. Sure, I'm going to miss playing with the bands, but at the same time, I've played most mornings and evenings for the last five years. This way I get to sit in the congregation and get to learn the words (and sing!) [I don't know as many titles of the songs as I should... people sometimes have to hum the tune so that I can figure out what they're talking about!]. It also frees me up to welcome newcomers who have the misfortune of sitting next to me, as with music ministry I was always stuck up on stage :)

So yeah, this is me me me me me and ministry for now :)

No comments: