Saturday, January 23, 2010

2010: The Year of Manning Up

Since 2008, I've given every year a title. Nothing too serious - just something that gives my year a bit of focus and drive.

2008 was the Year of Discovering What I Wanted to Do with English. That meant that I took on opportunities that I thought would be a natural lead-on from studying English, such as tutoring, working at the Writing Lab, creative writing.

2009 was the Year of Social Involvement, which meant that I joined Night Shelter Bible study for the whole year, got involved with Habitat for Humanity. Halfway during the year, it transformed into the Year of Near-Burnout.

This year, I've realized, is The Year of Manning Up. No, no, this doesn't mean that I'm going to be learning how to spit the furthest, or grow hair on my chest, or punch people really hard [I can already do this last thing quite well, mind you]. What I mean by 'manning up' is simply this: to take responsibility for the things that you are responsible for. And that's something we should all be doing, regardless of whether we are males or females.

So what does this mean for me? I've been recently placed into a really cool leadership position- cool enough to make me have an existential crisis about my leadership style and skills. [BTB, any regular reader of my blog will know by know that I quite enjoy the odd existential crisis here and there, so no biggie. I quite enjoy them 'cause I get to learn a lot from them :) And get to freak out dramatically ::))].

Anyway, upon reflection, I've realized that many people have also just assumed I'm a leader type because I keep on placed in leadership positions, and so keep on placing me in more leadership positions. [As my one friend put it, I'm a leader, 'cause I'm loud!]. Hence, a cycle develops, and poor Grace is left in this washing machine, not quite sure of what she's supposed to be doing as a so-called leader. I also try shirk responsibility a lot of the time. [Many of you reading this won't believe me, but it's true.]

This year, it's time to assess what I'm supposed to be doing in my various positions, and to be taking responsibility for my team/s. Hmm. Yes, let's see how this spans out :)

No comments: