Sunday, January 20, 2008

Money, money, money, ain't so funny

A few posts ago, I blogged a bit on how foolish we are in running after money and material things, when we have been promised the Creator of the Universe as our portion!!

As this is something which I spent much time thinking about last year, and which I was rebuked quite a few times about (esp. by the Brother, a Commerce student), I've decided to spend more time sharing what I've learnt!

Note: This is not an all-encompassing list. This is just a few thoughts I've had about money.

1. We tend to idolize money because this is what the rest of the world idolizes and runs after.
I don't think this is a particularly new thought- just have a look at what advertising and marketing sells: a better lifestyle and life but ONLY if you have their products... And the only way you get things in this life is Moola (money). We've become a culture driven by instant gratification (which is a truism recognised by such books as Poor Dad, Rich Dad which state that one of the ways of getting rich is to delay instant gratification. i.e. don't buy on credit!) (But sorry, I digress)
At this point, I'd like you to remind you of Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

Hollow, deceptive philosophy = lies.

2. We tend to idolize money because in this way we are still able to retain some sense of our Kingship and control over our lives.
The funny thing is that in the end, our love of money gets the better of us, and that Money ends up ruling us. The very thing we were avoiding- that of living under God's GRACIOUS and RIGHTFUL rule becomes a life of living under Money's tyrannical and unfulfilling despotism. True story. Jesus himself warns us of this:
No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money (Matthew 6:24).

3. We tend to idolize money because we forget about what's waiting for us!

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life (1 Timothy 6:17-19).

Note that it isn't money that leads to our downfall, but rather our attitude towards money.
As it says in 1 Timothy 6:10: "For the LOVE of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

So what to do!??!?

What really helped me is:
1. Recognise how you value money.
The fact that I was so reluctant to give showed me exactly where my fault was- I was not trusting God's awesome promise of faithfulness and His great Sovereign character. Instead I was holding on to money tightly because it was the only way I could hold retain a modicum of control over my own life.

2. Remind yourself why you're giving it away.
The reason why we do anything as Christians is because of what Christ has done for us. There is not point in just giving money to the church because it's another thing to do in our checklist of How to be the Perfect Christian. We give to the church because Christ died for us, and because He is now our life and treasure... How much easier is is to give when we are reminded of what we have in Christ!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Give it away!
There's nothing like giving it away to lessen it's control over your life. Spend some, save some ,and GIVE SOME AWAY for the glory of God - i.e. the spreading of His Kingdom!

God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7). But because I wasn't cheerful about giving my money away, I was using this as an excuse not to give. Which is actually really daft because of course I wouldn't be happy giving money away if it had such a strong hold over me! Luckily the Brother reminded me that sometimes we need to just be self-disciplined!

There is so much more than can be said here, but here's one last thought.
There is no minimum age nor minimum salary income necessary for giving. No more excuses! I think if you're only 'just' getting pocket money, you should be willing to give some of it away to further God's work! If God really is Lord of our lives, we will be showing this in the way we treat our earthly goods.

Isaiah 55: 2, 6 reminds us that money can not fulfill us:
Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labour on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
...
Seek the Lord while He may be found,
call on Him while He is near.

1 comment:

Richard said...

i read a book called beyond greed which really helped me understand the difference between godly ambition and ungodly ambition and what godly money handelling looks like, i would deffinatly recomend it, especially the editorials by stott, piper, dickson and packer