Monday, March 1, 2010

Sleepy time, wakey time

I sleep. A lot. One of my favourite things to do in the world. However, because I sleep a lot, I'm not always too stoked about having to factor in so much 'dead' time. How much more could I do with my life with so many more hours!!

True that.

But as I was driving home last night, listening to Sia Furler's Soon we'll be found, I was suddenly reminded of another beautiful reason why God in His graciousness has created us to be sleeping beings:

Come along, it is the break of day
Surely now, you’ll have some things to say
It’s not the time for telling tales on me

So come along, it won't be long
‘Til we return happy
Shut your eyes, there are no lies
In this world we call sleep
Let’s desert this day of hurt
Tomorrow we’ll be free

Let’s not fight, I’m tired - Can’t we just sleep tonight
Turn away, it’s just there’s nothing left here to say
Turn around, I know we’re lost but soon we’ll be found


On waking up after sleeping, I always feel as though the day's been given to me as a fresh start, as if I've been given a second chance. The hurts, mistakes, and errors from the previous day seem to, just like in the song, be something of the past, something that might still be a painful factor, but not half as powerful and potent as the day before. Now, imagine a sinful world like ours, free of any opportunities to start again, free of any opportunities to (in some way) wipe the slate free and try once more...

PS previous post on why we sleep: Talking about Sleepy Time

No comments: