Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cracked glasses, no change

Some people are meant to wear glasses. They put on a pair, and immediately they becoem ever so dignified, cool, smart, intellectual. I recently met one of these people - a guy who had the coolest geek glass frames ever. Disturbingly, however, his one lense had a noticeable crack right down the middle.

I didn't know whether I should say something or not- I myself had been an owner of a pair of glasses that been cracked across the top, and over the last year or so [yes, I'm that lazy and yes, it took me that long to get new glasses] had gotten oh-so-tired of people telling me Grace! Your glasses are cracked! Did you know?!?!!

But then I thought, heck, I'm going to tell him anyway. So I did. And ironically enough, he responded in the same way that I had to everyone: "Thanks. But I can't see it when I have my glasses on, so it doesn't bother me." Hearing this come out from someone else's mouth made me pause.. Then I wondered aloud: "So, it's actually just me that's affected by it? Not you?" "Exactly", he said. "I'll get new glasses eventually, but it's no problem now."

This incident made me think about how we so easily become frustrated when people don't change after hearing the gospel. They who can't see the crack in the glasses, will see no need to change the glasses. Us who can see the crack won't understand how they can't see it and why they're so reluctant to do anything about it.

Sometimes, they do take off the glasses and see the crack for themselves. Most of the time, however, even after having warned them numerous times, they won't - and that's just something we're going to have to accept.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice illustration :-)