Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fear is for those who forget who God is

1 Samuel 17:48

As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him.


I recently saw this verse written out and stuck up on someone's wall. It struck me - in the midst of the Israelites fear of Goliath, it was David, God's chosen one, who ran not away from battle, but towards it.

"Foolish boy", was my first thought.

"Actually, no wait" was my second. What David was doing wasn't foolish at all because he knew that God was with him and for Israel.

I'm not saying that we should run towards troubles and crises - the Bible very clearly says that we are to FLEE from all temptation etc. But I was particularly challenged by the difference that knowing God made in David's response to this situation - he had no fear because he knew God and what He was capable of.

Do we have the same attitude? Me, not really. I forget how powerful God is and end up fearing people more than I do Him. You?

No comments: