Monday, March 2, 2009

Life is short. So what's the point? Part #2

It breaks my heart to think of many of the people I love, for whom Life will be nothing more than Doug walking off stage before getting to the point of his talk.

And I write this, that life only has meaning if you know the true and living God, not as someone who is perfect, not as someone for whom life has been easy, but as someone who has had MANY doubts, who has had many crises, who has turned against God, who has been mad and angry at Him, who has at many a time not wanted to obey Him or love Him. But each time I have been reminded of His goodness, love, mercy, and of His trueness.

I have no idea who reads my blogs, except for those kind souls that leave me messages (much appreciated, by the by), but if you do stumble upon this post... consider what it is I'm saying.

Quite often we come to the Bible with our own expectations - the BSCs want to use it as a textbook for creationism vs. evolution; the BAs see in it a postmodern exploration of the relationship between language and the real (don't ask; it's a bit of a random hypothesis I once had) - instead of turning to the Bible and seeing what it has to say for itself. John's gospel makes it clear what the Bible's purpose:
"These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:31).

Oh my wellingtons, what a claim. But if it's true...


Someone once told me that the word 'Bible' could stand for "Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth". Please don't leave earth without checking it out.

No comments: