Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Laying down your life

I was reading John this morning and read the following verse: "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13), thinking as I usually do when I read that, that there definitely are some people I'd be willing to be die for.

Then it struck me.

This verse isn't really talking about a once-off-dying-thing-like-if-you're-stuck-in-a-concentration-camp-and-the-guards-are-nasty-and-want-to-blow-someone's-brains-out-and-you-step-forward-cause-you-know-that-everyone-else-has-a-really-good-reason-for-wanting-to-live-to-see-another-sunrise (not that I'm planning to be in a concentration camp any time soon). Well, I suppose this verse would cover that scenario as well. But I hadn't clicked yet this verse also covers daily sacrifices and graces that you carry out for your friends. The things you do when you don't quite feel like it, the things you say when you actually feel like being nasty and irritated, the things you think when your mental critic is raging forth..

Ne-c'est pas? Makea da sense?

No comments: