Sunday, February 8, 2009

Be strong and courageous!

My memory verse for today is a verse I already blogged on a few posts back:
"Then the leaders of Judah will say in their hearts: 'The people of Jerusalem are strong because the Lord Almighty is their God" (Zech 12:5).
And I've already decided that next week's memory verse will be Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."


I've decided on these verses specifically because I haven't been feeling that brave or strong or courageous lately. In fact, when I realized that a specific situation might turn into a particularly trying one, instead of praising God for seeing fit to mould me more like Him, or for asking God for strength, I was desperately praying: "God, no, no, no, no, no. Not a good idea! Please no." Or you know, something like that. Lots of panicking!

Then I read a bit of John yesterday and I hit a verse which was really amazing. Jesus had just finished telling his disciples about his death again, and he says:
"Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour?' No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!'" (John 12:27-8).
What a great reminder that I shouldn't be scared or freaked out by various circumstances - because it's not really about me. It's about God's glory. The reason why I'm still here on earth is to glorify God's name in whatever circumstances and struggles I face. And His name WILL be glorified. And I CAN be brave and strong and courageous because he is MY GOD!

And because I've started eating a heck lot of spinach. ;)

No comments: