Sunday, May 25, 2008

This world and the next… #2


After a week of illuminating lectures and movies, I was reminded of the world outside my wonderful First-World bubble. No longer can I conscientiously defend my dreams and hopes of a comfortable future when the majority of the world's people are living in extreme poverty, being executed, oppressed and abused. It is true that everyone needs Jesus, but what kind of witness am I when I tell them to trust in Jesus and do nothing to alleviate their conditions?

And the scary thing about this is that when I went to bible study, I was struck by how I felt that I couldn't speak to anyone about any of this - how everyone seemed to be sucked in by the same commercial dreams as all the other non-Christians...

What crap is this? Why are we being sucked in by the same materialistic ideals that non-Christians are going for? We KNOW that nothing in this world will last, so why aren't we out there helping those in need, suffering for the sake of others... As Christians, we have absolutely NOTHING to lose because in heaping up earthly things we have nothing to gain. We've got everything in Jesus, who will never forsake us. So why are we participating in the rat-race?

Here endeth the ranteth....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

true story! enough said.

although there was this cool story about how, i think it was Harry Oppenheimer, after he died they had to sort out his will and stuff. and one lady asked the lawyer, " so what did Harry leave behind?" and he answered, " everything."

i forthwith withhold more speech.