Monday, September 14, 2009

Putting the Amazing back into Grace

I climbed into the car this morning and put on my favourite CD of the moment... yes, you're right: The one and only Miss Regina Spektor. And as I was driving, her song 'Eet' started playing...
 
"It's like forgetting the words to your favorite song.
You can't believe it; you were always singing along.
It was so easy and the words so sweet.
You can't remember; you try to feel the beat.."
 
And that made me think about the way that we sometimes simply forget about grace. Or rather: how easy it is to forget about what God has done for us through his grace, and what a truly amazing gift it is. We're so aware of this key Christian word and concept that sometimes, just like the person in the song, overexposure to the idea of grace perhaps dulls our consciousness of its magnitude. We forget the words, even though it's our favourite song. I know that I definitely forget at times what it means to be someone who has received grace and still continuously receives grace, and then fall into the trap of thinking that I'm not good enough for God. Or that I'm too good for God. Or that I can do enough to be with God. But that's not true. God's grace is the only way, and all we need.
 
Let's go relearn the words to our favourite song....
 

No comments: