Saturday, July 25, 2009

My physio tells me these things...

So I went again to my physio a few days ago. Same old story as the previous sessions. She works on my leg a bit, asks me to show her the biomechanical exercises (to improve leg and foot strength) she gives me for homework, and then does some machine work.

Only thing is, I hadn't really practised any of the exercises in the last few weeks. But I wasn't too worried- I'd worked on them quite hard for the previous session, and surely my muscles would be able to cope.

Yeah, right. Sure, I didn't fall over as I stood one-legged on the Problem Foot, but I could definitely feel that my muscular co-ordination had deteriorated as I stood wobbling like a jelly cake in the wind, with my arms flailing all over the place.

"You should work on those exercises", my physio said. "Especially considering that when you reach the age of 25, you start to lose your ability to balance. Why? Because we don't exercise those muscles necessary, and because we don't practise our ability to balance like we do when we're kids."

!!!!!! Can you imagine! At 22, I'm already so clumsy! And now she was telling me that my ability to fall over at random times was just bound to get worse after 25!

But as I thought more about what she was saying, I reckoned it was a great analogy for where I'd been for the past few months in my Christian walk. I hadn't been reading my Bible or praying as regularly as I had in the beginning, justifying this to myself by saying that I didn't have time, and I kinda knew enough to tide me over for a bit. Just like we don't think to continue working on our balance because it's something we'll always have. Except... this is a misguided presumption. If we don't keep on working on our balance, it will deteriorate. Similarly, if we don't work on our relationship with Jesus, that'll go downhill too. You know how it is with your own friends - you might phone them once a week, it becomes once a month, and before you know it, if you don't see them regularly, it becomes once every few years.

So I suppose it's a question with whether you want to keep your balance/ relationship with Jesus for life, or if you just want to let it go. I can't answer that for you, but I gotta go practise balancing on garden walls now. Ciao!

No comments: