Monday, July 6, 2009

Habitat for Humanity devotions... Post-mortem

So how did it go?

Well, quite wonderfully, in fact! God was SOOOOOOO gracious so that when I finally hit the moment of having to deliver them, I wasn't freaking out anymore, but calm and trusting. I don't know if anyone had a 'Ooh, I want to become a Christian right here and now', but I was encouraged by a few individuals' feedback which made it clear that at least some people had been listening. (What made it an awesome opportunity as well, was the fact that the devotions happened just before the volunteer briefs every morning, so nearly everyone was present when I led them.)

Moreover, I was just reminded about the impact of witness. Near the end of the week, one or two people came up to me and said how cool it was that I wasn't pious, religious Grace who just gave devotions in the morning, but that I hung out with them and partied late into the wee hours of the morn' with them. And to be honest, that hadn't been why I'd gone out - I just like to party. But I hope that this was able to reflect that being a Christian isn't about not having fun, and obeying all these rules. It's about loving Jesus. Here's hoping that my actions were able to break some stereotypes they may have had about Christians... But hey, it's all in God's hands.

Fun times.

PS Many thanks to JP and others who gave valuable feedback and ideas :)

No comments: