Friday, December 19, 2008

Change, change, change

Sometimes I really get frustrated with people who aren't showing any signs of being convicted by the gospel of Jesus and who aren't changing in ways that my eyes can perceive. Then I was reminded of two awesome ...umm, for lack of a better word... reminders.
[I don't know who to reference for these - I stole them from a friend's Facebook note :)]

1. Give people time to change
I think there are some tensions and questions here, but we need to give people time to change. How long did it take for you to become perfectly like Jesus? Of course, you’re still changing. There are some sins we’re prepared to work on over a lifetime, but there are others where we demand instant change. Why is this? The answer, of course, is that we want them to become respectable. We don’t want a messy community. So we say, ‘You’re saved by faith, but to become part of the church (e.g. to be baptised) you need to change your life.’ So which is it? Are we saved by works or are we saved by works?

2. Focus on the heart
What’s your agenda for change? All too often we focus on behaviour. We can list the behaviours we would like someone to stop or start. But Jesus says our behaviour comes from the heart (Mark 7:20-23). Our focus needs to be on the heart. Our job is to help people love God and treasure Christ. In Philippians 1 Paul says the aim of his ministry among them is their joy (1:25-26). He wants them to find joy in Christ – only then will people turn from the pleasures of sin. I do need to describe a life that pleases God. But my job is not to go round telling people to reform their lives or change their behaviour. My job is help people find joy in Christ.

1 comment:

Grace said...

"My job is to help people find joy in Christ".

I like that :) Let's do it!