Friday, December 26, 2008

Fulfillment in Christ?

This is an extract from a letter I just finished writing to a friend who's currently investigating the Christian faith:
Dearest [Name]

A few days ago you asked me if I found ultimate fulfillment in Christ. But I had spent so much time and energy worrying and focussing on myself and my issues on and off throughout the past few days/weeks/months, that this question sounded completely foreign to me: Fulfillment in Christ? Joy, happiness, peace in Jesus?

But as my mouth opened to say an automatic yes, I found that in saying yes, it was a TRUE yes. Your question cut through the mess in my head clearly, showing me and reminding me that yes, underneath all that was going on, I did find true fulfillment in Christ.

It's not easy, like I mentioned. There are many things to distract you along the way and to rob you of the peace and joy found in loving Jesus. Quite often my focus slips off Him, and I try seek fulfillment in other things: friends, being popular, love, looking pretty and dressing nicely, even my academics(yeah, yeah, I'm a geek). But these are all false identities that temporarily veil my true identity - as Christ's child and much-beloved daughter. And I must tell you, when I realize again (I say again, 'cause I'm a slow learner so this happens quite often) that I have been drinking in and eating of the junk food lies that the world offers as happiness and fulfillment, and when I turn to God again and regain perspective that He is the only true Living Bread and Water, then, and only then, do I find true satiation, true fulfillment, true joy and peace.

Jesus says in Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

And no matter how paradoxical that sounds, it's true. :)

No comments: