Monday, February 11, 2008

Do not be wise in your eyes... (Josh Harris)

The Sister had this up on her wall, and I liked it so much that, as any good godly Christian would do, I stole it. And put it up on mine.

Just teasing ;) I photocopied it.

It's a list of ways we might be tempted to be wise in our own eyes. Have a look!

"I am wise in my own eyes...

1. When I don't pause to pray for God's guidance on a decision. Very true!

2. When I fail to depend on God's word and approach it as a daily "lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (Ps. 119:105). Yip!

3. When I assume a decision doesn't need a second opinion, and I don't take the time to ask trusted friends for counsel. The Bible teaches us how to be God's children, but friends help us to think of ways to apply it in this day and age.

4. When I am critical of another person's practice or perspective without taking the time to understand it and ask questions.

5. When I am lax in fleeing temptation, assuming that I'm adult enough to "handle it." Haha, I fall for this one quite often. But nowadays, I just run!

6. When I do something right and fail to acknowledge before God that it is only his grace that allowed me to do it right.

7. When I pat myself on the back about knowledge I have that I learned from someone else.

8. When I don't draw out, or seek to understand, a person who is bringing criticism (whether or not it's being brought constructively).

9. When I assume that the truth of a sermon is for someone else, not my own life. How often have you zoned out in a sermon 'cause you think it's not relevant to you?!?!? I do it more often than I'm willing to admit!

10. When I neglect to consistently plead to God for his wisdom.


Until I see God and fear him, I cannot see myself rightly. When my view of him is clouded, when I'm a functional atheist, I will trust and applaud my own wisdom. But when I rightly fear God--when I see him for who he is as the all-seeing, all-powerful Holy One to whom I will answer--I will see myself as weak, dependent, and in need of heavenly wisdom. When I fear God, I will shun the evil of pride and self-sufficiency."


PS the italics are all my little added thoughts :)

Check out the original blog post here: www. joshharris.com

No comments: