Monday, August 10, 2009

Laugh out loud... or not? Thought 4

The second last bunch of thoughts comes from another friend [cut and pasted here :)] Why I've included his remarks here, is because they're really helpful at pinpointing reasons for indulging in humour, godly or ungodly:

Laughter is very powerful because it releases endomorphins (aka endorphins), pain-killing neurotransmitters that make us feel happy. But I know that often when I joke, I often do so to draw attention to myself or impress others, or, conversely, to take attention away from myself and my own failings by making others the butt end of my jokes.

I think it's useful and important to think of the purpose of our joking, but without being paralysed into mute seriousness -- which no doubt would happen if we were to evaluate whether everything we contemplated saying would build up everyone in earshot. Selfish joking is, I think invariably, sinful -- if not because it injures another, then at least because it is selfish. And when joking demeans another, it's almost certain to be wrong. Why the hesitancy to say it's always wrong? I
think there may be legitimate occasions for good-natured poking fun at people, e.g., at the convenor of a camp or event. This can help to put people at ease, especially those who perhaps feel insecure.

No comments: